Thursday, November 6, 2008
Am I the only one?
Am I the only one that sees fault with the current trend in secondary education...the trimester schedule? This schedule is not conducive to career and technical education. When students can take a course for one trimester and will not see the teacher again until the following school year, how can this be a benefit to the student? It's hard enough to re-teach students that come back after a 3 month summer break, but to have a 9 month break between classes! That's asking a lot of the student and even more of the teacher. I would like to see the "traditional" subjects (Math, English...) meet the state benchmarks with this system.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Kevin,
I confess to ignorance of the effects of trimesters. All of my kids graduated from a school with semesters, and as a parent I witnessed the struggle they had 're-orienting' to school each fall.
I cannot conceive to helping them after a nine-month absence. Yikes. What are we doing to education???!!
Sandy
I agree with Sandy - I know as a teacher how hard it was after a summer off - It seems to me that it would be starting all over again, especially in a skill area like machine tools.
Post a Comment